Friday, February 20, 2009

"I asked Will, Bonnie Prince Palace, or Whatever, What Do You Think About It?"

..."Is it worth being an indie rock star or are you better off without it?' A line from the classic Jeffrey Lewis "Will Oldham Williamsburg Horror," does not describe to any degree the complete starstruckness that hit me when speaking to the man at his concert two nights previously. As anyone who used to be with me on past radio shows can tell you, I get completely starstruck around people I respect. My friend Alec remarked that he could never see me getting tounge-tied, being that I'm so very talkative, and I laughed and said it was because I didn't respect him that much ;)
But joking aside, thanks to a certain DJ friend of mine I was able to actually go into the KTUH station and speak with him and Emmet Wylie, a country singer from L.A. that he's currently recording with. Mr. Oldham was wearing an orange shirt and shorts that showed his belly and bald head. He seemed strangly at odds with the persona he had crafted over the years: a mysterious, dark, and tortured soul. Rather he was laughing with everyone, smiling broadly at us, "shooting the s--t" with his Mom and me and Davey, whose capo he had used for the in-station show. The new music he played was beautiful: "Beware," and "For Everyone" were among my favorites. The next night he played a lovely subdued gig at the Mercury Bar, where I must admit there wasn't a dry eye in the house. I meekly opened my mouth and squeaked, "Can you play 'A Sucker's Evening' for me, please?" as though I was in the third grade. Perhaps it was the pre-gig meeting at KTUH, but for whatever reason, he complied, and he and Emmett played the best version I have ever heard... wandering, strange, and far more country and howling than the orginal.
I have been to many, many, a show in my young life, but I'd never expected to see the best one here in Honolulu, among the palms and the sand. Another reason to be greatful for life bringing you where you should be, even if sometimes its hard.

2 comments:

mondotrasho said...

Is it just Will Oldham and Emmet Wylie on the upcoming tour? What was the set list? Thx.
~m

Rach said...

Hey, its going to be him and Emmet on the upcoming tour as far as I know. Lots of songs off of their new record "Beware" and "Lie Down in the Light". Older songs included "I see a darkness," "You have cum in your hair..." "A sucker's evening," "A Strange Form of Life."
Those are the ones I can remember! Have fun!